When in New Orleans…

A few weeks ago, before the Super Bowl and Mardi Gras madness consumed the last two weeks of my life (not that I’m complaining), I had four friends come visit from New York City – my first visitors! I was excited to show off my new city to my old friends and get their take on life in New Orleans. I’ve always found in the past that this method is the best way to really appreciate your surroundings.

For their visit I had two things on the agenda, two things that New Orleans is really known for: music and food. Every night we took in some local music by popping into some of the bars that line Frenchmen Street. Some of my favorites include Apple Barrel and d.b.a. (which strangely enough has a sister bar of the same name in Manhattan’s East Village). One of my favorite things about New Orleans is the often FREE live music. Rarely have I paid a cover charge to enjoy some of the most talented musicians in the country.

I was really pumped to show off some locals eats. As a vegetarian, I rarely go out to eat as that most restaurants aren’t exactly catering to the non-carnivorous types. Friends in town was the perfect chance to experience some of these famous spots vicariously through them. From Port of Call, known for their burgers and gigantic monsoons, to Cochon, a more upscale spot known for their pork dishes (and surprisingly delicious vegetarian sides/apps), the restaurants of New Orleans did not disappoint. All four of my friends are already planning their next trip back, and I can’t wait to eat my way through more of the city with them!

-Sarah