Notable Graduates: Danielle Smith MME ’22

Name: Danielle Smith 

Degree Program: Master of Management in Energy 

Hometown : Hinsdale, Illinois  

Fun fact about yourself: I played golf at DePauw University and have an orange tabby cat named Calvin 

Why did you decide to get your master’s degree?  I always wanted to pursue a degree in the renewable energy field and this master’s program seemed like the perfect path.  

What was your favorite course and why?  Renewable Energy Project Development and Finance. I really enjoyed this class because it prepared me for the job I currently am at. The professors are both experienced in their fields and gave great real-life applications.  

 Who is your favorite business professor? What made them special?   My favorite professor was Deen Kemsley. He made the class so special because he made accounting easy to understand but also extremely relevant to the energy industry. He always was available to help and really cared about his students. 

Did you participate in any extracurricular activities, community work or leadership roles at Tulane?  I was president of Energy Club. I really enjoyed this position because I was able to connect to many individuals in the industry and achieved leadership experience.  

What do you like to do in your spare time?  I like to golf, spend time with my friends and travel.  

What is your past work or internship experience?  The summer between my second and third semester I interned at Marathon Capital in Chicago, IL. It was a great experience working here because I was able to apply the skills I learned in the program. In addition, I was able to learn more about the renewable energy finance industry which was a goal of getting my masters.  

 Where will you be working after graduation?  I currently am working at Marathon Capital, in Chicago Illinois, as an Analyst.  

What are the top two items on your professional bucket list?  Make an impact in the renewable energy and clean technology transition and inspire others who want to transition from a science heavy job to a job in finance.  

Which academic, extracurricular or personal achievement are you most proud of, and why?  I am most proud of becoming a MACCT ambassador, being the current MME alumni representative and being a part of Beta Gamma Sigma.  

If you were talking to someone who was considering Freeman, what would you tell them?  I would tell them that this is an amazing program that combines finance with the energy industry. It is a great program for someone who wants to enter the energy industry while also gaining an understanding of basic finance.  

What are your favorite things to do in New Orleans? Do you have a favorite New Orleans memory? I love New Orleans. One of my favorite things to do in New Orleans would be to walk to Audubon Park after class. One of my favorite memories was enjoying beers with my cohort when we finished our Industry presentations. I loved how the program allowed me to become truly great friends with the people I studied with.   

Where do you hope to be in five years? I hope to still be in Renewable Energy Investment Banking helping the renewable energy transition.  

What are your tips for balancing coursework, work and your personal life? I would say that it is very manageable at Tulane. Focus on the classes and industries you love and you will succeed.