Notable Graduates: Yichi Zhang MD/MBA ’23

Meet Yichi Zhang, who is completing both his MD and MBA in just four years through Freeman’s joint degree program with Tulane Medical School.

Hometown: Beijing, China

Fun fact about yourself: One of my favorite ski runs is “Sun King” at Snowbasin in Utah.

Why did you decide to get your master’s degree? Envisioning myself as a future leader in medicine, I thought that fundamental understanding the business and managerial aspects of medicine can be just as crucial as a great foundation in science and the humanities.

What was your favorite course and why?
Naturally, given my background, I have to go with Healthcare Industry Seminars. Dr. Marc Kahn invited various respected healthcare leaders from different parts of the industry to share their fantastic wisdom on medicine, leadership, and life!

Who is your favorite business professor? What made them special?
Professor John Clarke was so kind and instrumental in helping me set up an independent study tailored to my interests. Together, we explored the ups and downs of SinoU.S. pharmaceutical commerce in the greater context of the trade war between the two nations.

Did you participate in any extracurricular activities, community work or leadership roles at
Tulane?
I was the leader for the New Orleans Mission free community clinic, affiliated with the Tulane
School of Medicine student clinic council, which provided primary care access and medication assistance to underprivileged communities in Central City.

What do you like to do in your spare time? I am an avid skier and tennis player, though am not spectacular at either sport 🙂! I also love karaoke, and my friends often have to wrestle the mic away from me.

What is your past work or internship experience? 
Prior to medical school, I completed an internship at the U.S.China Policy Foundation in Washington D.C.
During medical school, I completed clinical rotations at Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota as well as at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center (BIDMC) and Tufts Medical Center, both in Boston, Massachusetts.

Where will you be working after graduation? 
I will be starting an internal medicine residency at the Harvard Medical Schoolaffiliated Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH) in Boston.

What are the top two items on your professional bucket list?
To pursue meaningful research in promoting healthcare equity and advocating for underserved patient groups.
To advance initiatives for the popularization of digital health and develop tools for personalized medicine.

Which academic, extracurricular or personal achievement are you most proud of, and why?
I am most proud to have served as a volunteer tennis coach and tutor at a local nonprofit organization, As and Aces, where I witnessed the incredible athletic and academic growth of several students over several years, culminating in full scholarships to amazing institutions.

If you were talking to someone who was considering Freeman, what would you tell them?
Take the leap of faith! And you will be amazed by the people you meet and the experiences you have.

What are your favorite things to do in New Orleans? Do you have a favorite New Orleans memory?
Definitely crawfish boils! I will be missing the amazing spice and aroma dearly, and most certainly will be coming back each Spring for satisfy my cravings!

Where do you hope to be in five years?
I hope to be enthusiastically learning from amazing mentors, finishing up my fellowship training, all the while gaining both clinical and managerial confidence to prepare myself to be the best physicianeducator I can be.

What are your tips for balancing coursework, work and your personal life? Fully focus on what your current priority is, whether it is work or play! If you are working, then devote yourself to it and hold yourself to a high standard until the job is done. If its time for relaxation, then truly enjoy the moment and use it to fully rest and recharge.