Notable Graduates: Amelia Viator BSM ’23

photo of a graduate

Amelia Viator 
Major: Finance, Minors: Accounting and Philosophy
Hometown: Houma, Louisiana 

Fun fact about yourself: 
When I studied abroad, I traveled to 18 different cities in Europe in 18 weeks. 

Why did you decide to major in business?
I decided to major in business because it combined the two things I was looking for in a career: analytics and the opportunity to help clients solve problems. 

What was your favorite course and why?
My favorite course was Investments in Equities. It was my first Finance class after completing the core curriculum, and it reassured me that Finance was the major I wanted to pursue. I loved learning the formulas and what the different financial ratios meant. 

Who is your favorite business professor? What made them special? 
Anthony Wood was my favorite professor in the Business School. I loved learning from him how to set up financial models in the Burkenroad Reports course. What made him special was how obvious it is that he truly cares for his students. During one of my summer internships, he took the time out of his summer to review my model and PowerPoint slides for my summer project. He truly and genuinely wanted me to succeed. 

Did you participate in any extracurricular activities, community work or leadership roles at Tulane?  
Outside of classes I participated in:

• Tulane’s Women in Business Club, serving as the Vice President of Administration 
  • Burkenroad Reports Program, serving as an Investment Research Manager 
  • Tidal Wave Homecoming Board, serving as Finance chair, Administration chair, and Court chair over three years
  • Green Bull Investment group, serving as a junior mentor 
  • Swim4Success, a Tulane club that provides free swim lessons to underprivileged youth in New Orleans, serving as treasurer 
  • Tulane’s Waveleader Program, serving as a freshmen Waveleader 

Volunteered at:

• Habitat for Humanity Restore 
  • Dress for Success 
  • Swim4Success
  • Hotel Hope
  • Raintree House 

What do you like to do in your spare time?
I enjoy running, traveling, reading historical fiction, and trying new restaurants. 

This year I was the nanny for a family with four young children after school, and I loved spending time with them in Audubon Park. 

What is your past work or internship experience? 

• Credit Suisse, New York City, Investment Banking analyst 
  • Viator Wealth Management, New Orleans, intern 
  • Faubourg Private Wealth, New Orleans, intern 

Where will you be working after graduation? 
Ernst and Young, New York City, Structured Finance Analyst 

What are the top two items on your professional bucket list?  
First, I hope to help encourage more women into the to enter the finance sector. There were many female Freeman alumni who mentored me and helped me land both my junior year summer internship and my full-time job. I hope to continue to do the same thing with other women entering the Freeman School of Business. 

Second, I hope to increase ESG awareness. After taking an ethics class in high school, I pursued a Philosophy minor at Tulane. I find the intersection of Ethics and Business interesting as younger generations care more about ESG when investing.   

Which academic, extracurricular or personal achievement are you most proud of, and why? 
The personal achievement I am the proudest of is the community service I was able to do while at Tulane. As a native Louisianian, I felt called to give back to my community here in New Orleans. I was blessed to help at numerous charities that focus on helping women. During graduation weekend, I was honored to receive the Dean’s Service Award for my many hours of community service over the past 4 years.

While I was abroad in Italy, I also volunteered at a local soup kitchen and at a center for disabled citizens every week. The directors of these centers told me that I was the only foreign student who had ever volunteered there. 

If you were talking to someone who was considering Freeman, what would you tell them?
I would tell prospective students to take advantage of their professors’ expertise and network. Talk to them outside of class, email them, and keep in touch after you finish their course. Your professors can be your biggest advocate and a great networking tool. So many professors within the Business School had interesting careers before moving into academics. 

What are your favorite things to do in New Orleans? Do you have a favorite New Orleans memory?
My favorite thing to do is spend time on Royal Street in the French Quarter. I grew up spending time in the Quarter with my Grandpa, who instilled a love of New Orleans in my heart. I have the fondest memories of walking down Royal Street with him, shopping, listening to music, exploring art, and eating the most amazing food. 

Where do you hope to be in five years?
In 5 years, I hope to still have a finance role but within the fashion industry. While at Tulane, I worked three semesters at a local boutique. I would love to combine this personal interest with finance and work in-house as a CFO for a clothing brand.