Notable Graduates: Raymond Howze MBA ’23

Name: Ray Howze
Degree Program: Full-Time MBA
Hometown: Salt Lake City, Utah

Fun fact about yourself:
I’ve attended a football game at 10 of 14 SEC stadiums. Hoping to get to the last four (soon to be six) in the next couple of years.

Why did you decide to get your master’s degree?
I wanted to switch my career from journalism to something in business and/or finance. Learning the skills an MBA offers was the best way to do that.

What was your favorite course and why?
Advanced Spreadsheet Modeling. This course was not difficult regarding the subject matter (Excel). Instead, it included many practical applications that I am already using in my full-time job. It taught me skills that make my job easier and have improved workflow processes.

Who is your favorite business professor? What made them special?
Russ Robbins. Russ is always patient with his students and wants to help everyone learn. He never made his students feel like they should already know something. Even though he is an expert in statistics, he explained the material in ways that could be understood by beginners.

Did you participate in any extracurricular activities, community work or leadership roles at Tulane?
Associate Director for the Burkenroad Reports program
Member, Tulane Toastmasters
Volunteer, Coalition to Restore Coastal Louisiana

What do you like to do in your spare time?
Watch soccer on weekend mornings. Ride my bike around town/on the levee. Read the news/understand what’s going on in my community and be an active participant in its future.

What is your past work or internship experience? 
Last summer, I was an intern at Laitram working in the Lapeyre Stair division.

Where will you be working after graduation? 
Impact Capital Manager, Gulf Coast Housing Partnership, Inc. New Orleans, LA

What are the top two items on your professional bucket list?
Cut a ribbon at a project unveiling.
Own at least a minority stake in a soccer club.

Which academic, extracurricular or personal achievement are you most proud of, and why?
Receiving the Roger L. Cornelius award at graduation. This was an award voted on by my peers and it was truly special and humbling to receive an award related to excellence in the MBA program that is decided on by those around you.

If you were talking to someone who was considering Freeman, what would you tell them?
Freeman can help you achieve your goals, whatever they might be. But you also must try and put yourself out there. If you are willing to do that, Freeman is a great place for you.

What are your favorite things to do in New Orleans? Do you have a favorite New Orleans memory?
Ride my bike around town. Check out new food spots (I have a long list to get through). Watch Premier League at Finn McCool’s in Mid City. Attend Tulane basketball, baseball, or football games.

One of my favorite New Orleans memories is the first time I saw the Skeleton House. I realized how much fun people here have when it comes to decorating their homes. I also enjoy puns, and this house had a lot of them.

Where do you hope to be in five years?
I hope to be a successful and contributing member to New Orleans’ future, whether that be through affordable housing development, other real estate development, or giving back to the Tulane community.

What are your tips for balancing coursework, work and your personal life?
Set a schedule and adhere to it as much as possible. Schedule your personal time as well and stick to it. Don’t be married to your coursework or work. Be sure to take time away. But when it’s time to study or work, do it to the best of your ability. During my two years in the MBA program, I was sure to dedicate at least one weekend day to fun and relaxation. No school or studying. Sometime that meant staying in on Friday to get work done. But it was worth it because you’re not left thinking about what work you must do for school come Sunday