Notable Graduates: Jordan Kirsh-Clemenceau BSM ’23

Name: Jordan Kirsh-Clemenceau 

Major(s)/Minor(s): Finance & Political Economy, French minor, Entrepreneurial Management Specialization 

Hometown: North Potomac, Maryland  

Fun fact about yourself:  
My dad is French, and I grew up hearing and speaking French at home. I hope to one day live and work in Paris to further explore my French background.   

Why did you decide to major in business? 
I am very interested in the role that business can play by bringing together people from all walks of life who have differing skill sets to solve some of our most pressing societal issues. Due to the fast moving nature of business compared to the public sector, I view majors revolving around business as providing opportunities to centralize awareness, communication and technology while executing ideas focused on collective social good.  

Through the Altman Program in International Studies & Business, I have had access to additional applications for my business degree as I studied abroad for a full year and obtained a liberal arts degree simultaneously.  

I consistently found myself fascinated by…  
The role that technology access and training can play in creating more personalized learning environments, especially for those with learning disabilities that may struggle to effectively contribute to and benefit from traditional classroom models.  

What was your favorite course and why? 
Professor Rob Lalka’s Student Venture Accelerator Course. This two-semester class provides student teams of 4 to 5 people the opportunity to create their own startup while receiving credit and guidance throughout. This class followed the venture creation process from idea to pre-launch. With the help of Professor Lalka’s teaching and mentorship, myself and three others created a video job board for boutique hotels focused on revamping the hiring process and increasing transparency for both parties, in order to ultimately reduce misalignment between new employees and the skill sets demanded to support the unique guest experience created by boutique hotels. 

Who is your favorite business professor? What made them special?   
Professor Myke Yest & Professor Rob Lalka are my two favorite business professors.  

Professor Lalka consistently pushed me to think past what I thought was possible for our student venture while still applying our discussions to topics covered in class or in his career. At the same time, he also provided me with individual mentorship to support my career advancement while helping me reflect on crucial decisions without pushing me towards a specific direction or answer.  

Professor Yest, as a director of the Altman Program and Freeman professor, continually advocated for me throughout my four years at Tulane. He provided me with a supportive outlet and continually championed my success throughout some of my most difficult moments at Tulane. He also frequently checked in on me and was determined to provide anything I needed to be successful.  

I am extremely grateful for all the amazing Freeman staff and professors who have provided me with guidance throughout my undergraduate career.  

Did you participate in any extracurricular activities, community work or leadership roles at Tulane?  
Campus Leadership: 
Tulane Dean of Libraries Search Committee Member, associated with Office of the Provost 
Tulane Board of Trustees Quarterly Meeting Student Panelist, associated with Office of Student Affairs 
Alpha Kappa Psi Professional Business Fraternity (4 year involvement) – 1 semester as Professional Development Chair 
Sophomore Retreat Keynote Speaker – Newcomb Institute  
Green Bull Financial Mentorship Program Participant – Green Bull Investment Club 
Finance Track Program Participant – Freeman Career Management Center  
Parents’ Weekend Student Panel, “Tulane to the Max” – Office of Student Affairs 
Executive Vice President of Community Engagement (RHA) – Tulane Residence life 
Residential Advisor – Tulane Residence Life 
New Student Orientation Leader – New Student Leadership Programs  
Intramural soccer captain (2 seasons) – AKPsi 

Community service (volunteer): 
New Orleans Entrepreneur Week (NOEW)  
New Orleans Botanical Garden in City Park 
New Orleans Jazz Museum  

External to Tulane:  
U.S. State Department Gilman Scholar 
Lime Connect Fellowship – Lime Connect  

What do you like to do in your spare time?
I enjoy snowboarding, camping, playing soccer, listening to podcasts, biking, hiking and journaling.  

What is your past work or internship experience?
Associate Product Marketing Manager (APMM) Intern – Google Cloud Public Sector: EdTech
Google, San Francisco, CA

Market and Investment Strategy Intern, xMotion (Biotechnology startup) 
Geneva, CH 

User Experience Research Intern, Bity – Swiss Cryptocurrency Brokerage (startup)
Neuchâtel, CH 

Lead Principal Investigator, Tulane University Sponsored Research – Information Access in U.S. Haitian Communities 
Multiple cities (U.S.) 

Marketing Strategy Intern, Tulane University Goldman Center for Student Accessibility 
New Orleans, LA 

Market Research Intern, CGI Merchant Group (based in Miami, Florida) 
Virtual 

Where will you be working after graduation?  
I will be returning to Google in San Francisco and starting in their Associate Product Marketing Manager (APMM) program, a two-year rotational cohort program with about 30 other individuals from across the United States. My final team assignment is not yet confirmed. Prior to this, I will be attending a pre-MBA program at Harvard Business School: Summer Venture in Management Program (SVMP). 

What are the top two items on your professional bucket list? 
Start my own company at the intersections of education accessibility, individualized learning, and AI.  

Write a book on the impact of access to technology and information sources and then guest lecture at different universities across the world.  

Which academic, extracurricular or personal achievement are you most proud of, and why?  
I am grateful to have received the Tulane 34 award leading up to graduation. 34 individuals are selected for this award from across undergraduate, graduate, and professional schools based on service, academic achievement, and leadership. This award represents my work with Tulane’s Student Affairs office, advocacy efforts with the Goldman Center for Student Accessibility, academic research, and student mentorship through Alpha Kappa Psi, as well as other campus leadership roles I have had the privilege of serving in.  

If you were talking to someone who was considering Freeman, what would you tell them? 
I would emphasize the incredible dedication of Freeman faculty and staff to each students’ success. In both my classes and career search process, I have been fortunate to receive individualized guidance and mentorship. Freeman does especially well at creating this level of support while pushing students to challenge their current perspectives and critically evaluate their goals in order to find consistent success in future endeavors.  

What are your favorite things to do in New Orleans? Do you have a favorite New Orleans memory? 
I love finding new places to try Vietnamese Pho Soup in New Orleans. Some of my favorite spots include Lilly’s Café, Dong Phuong, and Phở Tầu Bay. 

My favorite New Orleans memory must be the night Tulane football beat UCF to win the AAC championship. This happened to fall directly on my birthday and our fall semester Alpha Kappa Psi formal event.  

Where do you hope to be in five years?
In 5 years, I hope to be attending a master’s program focused on entrepreneurship at Stanford, INSEAD or Sciences Po in Paris. If I do not pursue a master’s, I would love to be living in NYC in 5 years.