MBA Internships: Sydney Trainor (MBA ’24)

Sydney Trainor (MBA '24)

Sydney Trainor (MBA ’24)
Concentration: Management
Internship: Marketing Intern, LCMC Health New Orleans, LA

How did you approach the internship search process, and what strategies did you find effective?
I looked all over LinkedIn for opportunities. I knew I wanted to work in healthcare, and I was focusing primarily on marketing and administration. I applied to positions all over the country for remote work, but I really wanted to work at a hospital system in New Orleans.

Can you share a memorable moment or experience from your internship that had a significant impact on your professional growth?
I was tasked with looking at potential sponsorship opportunities to expand our target markets. I put together a presentation and presented to the corporate marketing department. This was an amazing experience, and I learned how to find potential sponsorships that aligned with the LCMC brand image.

How did your internship align with your career goals and aspirations? Did it confirm or reshape your career path in any way?
I have always wanted to work in healthcare, and I love marketing because of the creative aspects it offers. This internship has been great because I’ve been able to see the many paths that marketing has to offer – internal, external, and CRM.

Were there any challenges or obstacles you faced during your internship, and how did you overcome them?
I found the most challenging part was the independence aspect of the internship. I love that I am able to help out in any department, but navigating that aspect at first was challenging. I overcame this by asking every department what projects I could help with, rather than waiting for someone to ask me to help.

Did you have a mentor or supervisor who played a crucial role in your internship experience? How did they support your development?
I have an amazing supervisor, Amelia, who is really invested in the company. She is a great mentor because she tries to get me involved in projects that I’m interested in.

In what ways did your internship allow you to apply the theoretical concepts you learned in your MBA program to real-world situations?
One thing I learned in my marketing class is the importance of brand image. I am in charge of writing content for the website, and learning how to write in brand voice was a challenge at first. I realize how important this was for the company because it makes the website and social media look cohesive.

Did your internship provide exposure to a particular industry or functional area that you had not previously considered? How did this influence your career decisions?
I have always wanted to go into healthcare, so this internship directly aligned with that.

Looking back, what advice would you give to current or future MBA students about maximizing the value of their internships?
Start looking early! There are so many opportunities all over the country (and world), but to maximize your experience I would definitely start looking and apply early! However, do not be discouraged if you do not have your internship figured out immediately. I did not get my internship offer until May. It was stressful, but everything will fall into place as long as you apply and interview as much as you can. Utilizing your network is also extremely important.

How did your internship contribute to building your professional network? Did it lead to any valuable connections or mentorship opportunities?
The entire marketing department has been extremely welcoming, and I hope to stay connected with them. I’ve been fortunate to work with the corporate team and some of the marketing departments at specific hospitals!

Learn more about Tulane’s Full-Time MBA.