MBA Class of ’25: Sofia Merkowitz-Bustos

headshot of Sofia

Sofia Merkowitz-Bustos (MBA ’25)
Columbia, Maryland

What is a fun fact about you?
I’m Costa Rican and speak Spanish

From your internship or work experience, what are you most proud of?
During my undergrad experience, I worked for the campus activities board where I started as a marketing chair and then became the creative director. During my time as the creative director, I managed a budget of over $20,000 and was in charge of the marketing team. I also worked with the other directors in a team of four to organize a concert that cost around $300,000 and included three major artists, lil yachty, young nudy, and nocap. I was also responsible for creating a marketing strategy to promote this concert and the 5 major events we held leading up to it. The concert sold out and we had several thousand attendees during the entire week.

Why are you pursuing your MBA?
I’d like to work as a Creative Director and have a background in mass communications and art + design so I wanted to strengthen my business knowledge since I already have the creative side

What attracted you to Freeman? What do you hope to achieve here?
Tulane is a top university and I also wanted to be near a city with lots of opportunities, in addition my mom got her master’s from Tulane

Where do you hope to be in five years?
Working in the entertainment industry (film or music) for a major company in the marketing department, preferably on projects that include visuals.

What do you like to do in your spare time?
I enjoy creating art both graphic and physical art such as painting. I also enjoy video editing in my free time.

Learn more about the Full-Time MBA Program.