Graduation Spotlight: Jordan Nesser (BSM ’24)

Name: Jordan Nesser

Describe yourself in 15 words or less: Study hard, play hard, eat good food, listen to music, hang with friends… rinse, repeat.

Fun fact: I collect vinyl records and my collection includes over 400 albums.

Hometown: Short Hills, NJ

Major: Finance

Favorite Business Course: Legal, Ethical and Regulatory Environment of Business (LGST3010)

Extracurricular Activities, Community Work and Leadership Roles During College:

• President of Green Wave Sound
  • Production Director of Crawfest at Tulane University
  • Member of Women Investing in Women
  • Currently developing the business plan for an independent student-run record label at Tulane University to be called, “Green Wave Sounds”
  • Member of Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority

Internships:

• United Talent Agency (Summer 2023)
    • New York, NY
    • Agent Trainee Intern
  • Mom & Pop Music (Summer 2022)
    • New York, NY
    • Artist & Repertoire Intern
  • Merrill Lynch Wealth Management (Summer 2021)
    • New York, NY
    • Marketing & Business Development Intern

Post-Graduation Plans: I will be joining the team at United Talent Agency in New York, NY as a Music Agent Trainee

Favorite business professor:

My favorite business professor is Professor Michael Hogg. Professor Hogg teaches Introduction to Legal Studies. Not only did he open my eyes to studying legal studies in college and beyond, but he also taught me to understand how important critical thinking is to every aspect of business, regardless of industry. Professor Hogg is a great professor in the academic sense of the word, but I was also able to see how much he cared about all his students’ wellbeing throughout the semester.

What is the biggest lesson you gained from studying business?

Your classmates/teammates are your biggest asset, not your competition.  

What advice would you give to a student looking to major in a business-related field? 

Come in with an open mind and explore the different classes available before committing to a major. Also, early in the semester work hard to secure internships – these experiences will make the in-class learning so much more enjoyable because you will have real world application to compare the lessons to.

What has surprised you most about majoring in business? 

The thing that surprised me the most about majoring in business is the community of professors, mentors, and peers I was able to create relationships with and bring with me as I leave college. We collaborated, shared, and lifted each other to succeed. I had always heard about business schools being cutthroat and I could not have had a more different experience with all the resources I had.

Looking back over your experience, what is the one thing you’d do differently in business school and why?

The one thing I would have done differently was to have not started as a Finance and Marketing double major. As soon as I took Legal, Ethical and Regulatory Environment of Business (LGST3010), my outlook on what I wanted to study in college changed immediately. If I had made this change sooner, I would have the time to take classes to graduate with a double major in Finance and Legal Studies in Business.

Which academic, extracurricular or personal achievement are you most proud of?

The extracurricular achievement that I am the proudest of is leading and helping grow the Tulane music business club, Green Wave Sound. I have always been passionate about music and have been lucky enough to meet, partner with and work with other students in the business who also were passionate about working in the music industry. Tulane does not currently have a music business program to prepare for this type of career, however we are working on developing it. Through Green Wave Sound we want to help students establish careers in the music industry while helping local New Orleans artists at the same time. Currently, we are also working on creating a record label at Tulane to help student artists gain exposure.

Which classmate do you most admire?

The classmate that I most admire is Dalia Trostinetzky. Dalia is the Executive Director of Crawfest at Tulane, and she has taught me everything about how to run the production department. She is an amazing leader and is constantly making sure everyone’s doing their job correctly, while helping when it’s needed.

Who would you most want to thank for your success?

Although I would like to thank both of my parents for my success, I especially wanted to point out the skills my mother has taught me to make me the woman I am today. She has taught me that the most important thing in life is family, and that family is there for me wherever and whenever I need them. She showed me the importance of working hard to achieve my life goals and always encourage me along the way, I wouldn’t be anywhere without her.   

What are the top two items on your professional bucket list? 

• Be recognized in Billboard’s Power 100 List
  • Become a professor and teach a college course on something that I am passionate about during my professional career.