Graduation Spotlight: Simon Sankey (BSM ’24)

Name:Simon Sankey

Describe yourself in 15 words or less: Free Market-loving, finance-obsessed, gourmand with a passion for Baseball!

Fun fact: Novice Restaurant Critic – I love trying different cuisines and I have made it my mission to thoroughly explore the New Orleans culinary scene. I’m always happy to give recommendations.

Hometown: Manhattan, New York

Major: Finance and Legal Studies

Favorite Business Course: My favorite course is the Burkenroad Reports. In the course, we prepared sell-side equity research reports on under-covered public companies in the Gulf South. We learned what goes into a report and how to conduct the fundamental analysis required to deliver insightful commentary. We got the opportunity to meet with company management and visit a company’s operations. I loved the course because we got to dive into both the financial statements and the physical operations of a company for invaluable hands-on learning.

Extracurricular Activities, Community Work and Leadership Roles During College:

• Founder and President of Wall Street Krewe, an organization I created for students interested in finding jobs in the financial services industry to help them prepare for and navigate the recruiting process. The organization has grown rapidly and now has over 200 members.
  • Investment Research Manager at Tulane Burkenroad Reports
  • Darwin Fenner Student Managed Fund
  • Member of Tulane Real Estate Group
  • Member of Tulane Chess Club
  • Founders Award Scholarship
  • Dean’s List
  • Beta Alpha Psi Member

Internships:

• Investment Banking Analyst Intern at Chaffe & Associates (Aug 2023 to May 2024) – New Orleans, LA
  • Corporate Finance Summer Analyst at Blackstone (Jun 2023 to Aug 2023) – Miami, FL
  • Summer Analyst at March McLennan Agency (Jun 2022 to Aug 22) – Ft. Lauderdale

Post-Graduation Plans: I will be working at Tudor, Pickering, Holt, & Co. as an Investment Banking Analyst in the energy group in Houston, TX.

Favorite business professor:

Peter Ricchiuti has been the most impactful business professor I have had at Tulane. His passion for the stock market and equity research is tangible and contagious. He shares this passion with his students week in and week out through his blend of humor and storytelling. Learning from him in the Burkenroad Program provided me with my finance foundation. He helped me grasp the interrelationship between business operations and financial statements and how to articulate that to others.

What is the biggest lesson you gained from studying business?

The biggest lesson I have learned from studying business is that teamwork is everything. All the work that you will do in your career is with a team and so you need to be able to work with people to bring out the best in yourself and others. My Professors and Tulane have done an excellent job of fostering this by putting a heavy emphasis on team projects throughout my coursework.

What advice would you give to a student looking to major in a business-related field? 

Show up and bring a good attitude. The Woody Allen quote “Ninety percent of success in life is just showing up” could not be truer. Being on time to class, being there for your teammates, and doing what you are supposed to do will get you there. You do not need to be a genius to succeed in finance. You just need to show up. It sounds crazy but that will set you apart because most people fail at this. The thing that will put you over the top is bringing a good attitude. Attitude is contagious and when you are positive it will make people want to work with you. Business is a team sport and bringing a good attitude will bring you the best teammates.

What has surprised you most about majoring in business? 

The room for creativity that exists in business surprised me the most. I had a perception about business that the field was not free-thinking and did not lend itself to creativity. I believe that stemmed from the societal view that the creatives go into the arts and only stuffy, uptight, people go into business. However, that could not be further from the truth. Innovation is the lifeblood of business and that all stems from human creativity. In my coursework, we have been shown countless examples of business innovators developing creative solutions. Coming up with a new business strategy or product is a form of brilliance equivalent to painting a masterpiece or composing an opera. It took me going through my coursework and engaging with case studies to truly understand this.

Looking back over your experience, what is the one thing you’d do differently in business school and why?

I would go abroad. I do believe I missed an opportunity to learn more about the world around me and international business. Our society is increasingly a global one and to be the most well-rounded business student possible, you need to go outside the US.

Which academic, extracurricular or personal achievement are you most proud of?

I am most proud of starting Wall Street Krewe (WSK), an organization at Tulane dedicated to helping undergraduate students launch careers in financial services. During my time at Tulane, I realized there was a need for a club that provided students, especially upperclassmen, with resources to navigate the recruiting process. I took the initiative to start the club and worked with Freeman School of Business’s Career Management Center along with Prof. Peter Ricchiuti to launch it. I was able to successfully receive funding and build up the club’s infrastructure. I created a logo, built a club constitution, built numerous presentations for our members, organized and emailed members, brought in speakers, and created student panels. We now have over 200 members and have been able to help numerous students launch their careers. The whole experience has been incredibly rewarding. My favorite part has been the platform it has given me to help others. I have particularly enjoyed mentoring and sharing my insights from recruiting. I am excited about the future of the club and I know it will continue to prosper after I graduate. I love knowing that I am contributing to the success of my peers and my beloved Tulane.

Which classmate do you most admire?

Jonathan Abbo is a powerhouse. He graduated in four years with three degrees. He’s a quadruple major in Finance, Management, Real Estate, and Design. On top of that, he minored in Architecture and Entrepreneurship. In addition, to his hectic academic course load, he found ways to be actively involved on campus including midnight DJ sets for WTUL radio. I admire his work ethic and his discipline. I strive to follow his example and I know he will excel at Goldman Sachs.

Who would you most want to thank for your success?

I want to thank my parents. Without either of them, I would not be where I am today. I want to thank my mother for her unconditional love and support. I want to thank my father for providing a great example of what strength and determination can accomplish. Both of my parents made tremendous sacrifices to ensure that I had access to the best education and opportunities available. Most importantly, my parents instilled in me the belief that I could accomplish anything I set my mind to. The ability to dream is what has given me the ability to succeed.

What are the top two items on your professional bucket list? 

• Found my Own Company: I want to develop a new business or organization that makes consumer’s lives better.
  • Further Cancer Research: As someone whose family has been impacted by cancer, I want to contribute to finding a cure.